Thursday, May 11, 2017

Good morning from Omaha!

I officially finished my junior year!  Two down. One to go.  With all A's and one B+ (that 300-level Botany class really snuck up on me), I landed a 3.88 GPA for the semester, boosting my cumulative from a 3.56 to a 3.67! I was really wanting that 4.0 semester, but I still have 2 semesters left to achieve that goal. I won't stop until I get there! 

It's down to less than a month before I embark on my trip to Africa! With part of my belongings in storage in Ames, and part at home in Omaha, I can finally begin to think about packing.  I found the skirts that I will need (modest and below the knee) in my mom’s closest and the work pants that I will need at the outlet mall. 

Since my last post, my internship coordinators and professors have asked me to teach in one of the three primary schools in the area. I was originally a bit disappointed when I didn’t think I would be able to teach, so I was excited by this change of events!  

English, my favorite subject, would be a complete joy!  Any subject that requires reading would be great as well.  Math?  Well, as a child, I would always tell my mom, “math makes my brain hurt!”

I will be teaching mathematics, more specifically fractions, twice a week to fifth graders at a school called Naluwoli. I am extremely nervous for this portion of my internship because I did not expect it. Although the children speak English, like any other English-speaking country the language is very different from the English we speak in America. Thankfully, I will have a partner teacher from my bi-national team member from Makerere University. Even though math has always been a shaky subject for me, I am excited to work in a team to teach these children.  I've spent the past five summers nannying and so I have a lot of experience and love for working with kids! 

Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance for praying for me on this wonderfully exciting time in my life that I'll be spending in Uganda! 💕💕💕

XOXO
Kerri 

No comments:

Post a Comment