Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A Mom's Perspective

Kerri has asked me to update her blog while she is gone.  I will post snippets that I receive from her throughout her journey in an “as-is” format, but I will also try to give you a bit more insight when I have it.  :) 

Leading up to this point, you should know she has been extremely excited, fearless, and well prepared.  Brian and I have had a hands off approach, only giving advice when asked and really letting her manuever through the logistics of this trip.  

She took the initiative to get all of her shots, sponsorships, passport/visa, etc.  Brian and I even had a little scare when we thought she may not have everything in order minutes before boarding the plane.  She did! I am so proud of her.  We literally didn’t help her much at all for this trip as we needed her to demonstrate independence, courage, and above all, faith, to carry this out on her own.  

Running Late as always……

For international flights, it is recommended to arrive at the airport 3 hours prior.  We are quite the traveler’s so we decided 2 hours was plenty of time.  Leaving our house at 9am would put us at the airport by 9:30 for an 11:30 departure.  Perfect.  Car loaded, lots of girly squeals of excitement, but…. Oh wait!  

Notice her bracelets!
“Mom, its 9:00, do I have time for a quick picture with Chowder?”  Of course.  

We make it 1/2 mile, maybe, and during my “You did pack this, right? What about this?  And that?” speech, we make our first U-turn at the middle school to retrieve a small pocket bible. She had planned to use her Bible ap on the phone, but the what if no electricity.  The bible is important!  

On the road again, we begin chatting.  We pass the school (phew), but we didn’t even get to the red light and have to turn around again.  This time, for a very important bracelet. Kerri will wear this 37 year old bracelet the entire time she is in Uganda. It was a gift from our cousin.  Alex wore it the 3 years he was in Ghana and it was given to him by a fulani man to make the talents you have stronger.  


Third time is the charm.  No more turning back.  Driving like a mad woman, we make it to the airport and even have a little time to kill.  Daddy is helping her stash money while Mom is a blubbering idiot.  I promise if I had known my kids were listening when I said,  “DREAM BIG, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO IN LIFE,” I might would have left that RAH RAH speech out during my parenting.  

A long ride…..


Hotel Room in Kampala
She was “wheel’s up” at 11:30am Central Standard Time on June 5th while I sat blubbering at Eppley Airfield and snapchatted the process.  I offered to fly with her to MSP to meet up with her peers and even Amsterdam to spend extra time with her, but she politely declined my offer.  "I've got this, Mom."   I received the text at 2:32pm on June 6th that she arrived.  For those of us not quick at math, that is 27 hours!   Her text said she planned to go straight to bed when she got to the hotel.  I don't blame her!
Nets

Text From Kerri:  have to sleep in nets!! can't use tap water! but other than that it's pretty nice. will be here for two nights then the next two nights will be at queen elizabeth national park. will send pics of our tentative schedule when i wake up tomorrow but i'm off to bed!


Her first two days will be in Kampala and will primarily consist of travel and jetlag recovery, currency exchange, shopping for personal supplies, and packing items for team orientation.  She recommended I put the KAMPALA clock on my world clock (iphone), so I would know what time it was for her.

UP NEXT: Queen Elizabeth National Park where she will meet up with the local college students (MAK) and then on to Kamuli where she will do her work.  

As always, please keep her in your prayers.   Prayers for safety and strength!  


Additional pictures from her hotel:


No comments:

Post a Comment